The role of libraries in providing widespread and inclusive access to knowledge is widely acknowledged. In today's context, libraries have to play two distinct roles - to serve as a local centre of information and knowledge, and be a local gateway to national and global knowledge. In order to achieve this goal, existing libraries must modernize their collection, services and facilities, become more pro-active and collaborate with other institutions, agencies and NGOs in order to develop a community-based information system.
Some of the issues under consideration of National Knowledge Commission are:
- institutional framework of libraries;
- education, training and research;
- modernization and computerization of libraries;
- maintenance of private and personal collections and
- staff requirements to meet changing needs.